Sunday, April 20, 2008

Day 23-24 - Monterey/Carmel, California







Yesterday we went to Monterey and walked and walked and walked along the coast.  There is miles of recreation trail along a beautiful bay.  A marina, old fishermen's wharf (filled with tacky tourist shops and people offering you clam chowder samples), cannery row (more seafood restaurants and shops), harbor seals barking in the bay, and more Americans in their white white "tennis" shoes (what is up with that??  even John notices it - they are so ugly and they all wear them!).  We didn't realize how long the trail was - Jack enjoyed it but it went on past nap time so he just flopped in the knapsack!

The tacky tourist shop had one funny item - the Zoltar psyhic machine from the movie "Big".  Apparently, "I will dream about sun and that will be the beginning of a bright future".  I guess I won't be turning 9 again.  Darn.

Had to take Gus to the vet since he couldn't open his eyes.  Turns out he just has allergies.  At least it isn't anything serious.

Went along the "17-mile drive" today along the coast - you have to pay $9.25 to drive it.  It has dramatic coastal views, bird/seal rocks, and goes through the famous Pebble Beach Golf Resort.  We stopped and cruised the 18th hole and the famous Cypress Tree.  Jack had a meltdown (because we wouldn't let him push his stroller over the cliff) right in the galley of the 18th hole.  Note to self:  don't bring a toddler to watch the US Open... especially  if Tiger is playing!  Debated whether to golf...either one of us could get on as a single.  But for $500 + cart, I think I'd like to be golfing with friends.  Even at that price, it is tempting!  So historic and beautiful.  Then we played on the beautiful white sand beaches of Carmel.

I'm watching the news and San Francisco has the highest gas prices in the country.  $4.39/gallon.  That figures we just happen to be in the biggest vehicle we will ever drive - in the most expensive area of the country!

Staying in this area again tomorrow.  Then Tuesday, we heading to San Jose for Game 7!  Look for us on TV - however, I didn't pack the Jerseys...Jack has a Flames T-shirt but that's it...I will wear red at least (I'm not sure about John!).  Game starts at bedtime so it should be interesting...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loving the pictures. I'm sure you know it's snowing here. Have I mentioned I'm jealous? I'll say it again. I'm very jealous.
Thanks for keeping us up to date on your adventures!

The Tierney's said...

WOW...Guess who is jealous this time? Frank is, that's who!!! He and the guys got snowed out in Victoria twice over the weekend...oh, well since he has a broken rib, that was probably a good thing. Don't forget to try and get a Flames Flag for the beast when you are at the Shark Tank...Have a blast! Did you get your tickets yet? GO FLAMES!!!

Anonymous said...

John you gotta wear red just this one time!! How else can we catch you on TV? I hope you get tickets!!

Anonymous said...

Just caught up on the last few weeks... sorry it has been crazy around here! The trip looks amazing - we so have to do those sand dunes, Cole would go crazy! Hope things are warming up for you , you could not have picked a better spring to go away. The snow here is unreal - I think I am going to snap soon! Peter is sooooo jealous of the hockey game! John you better wear something crazy so that we can try and pick you guys out

Have a few glasses of that "California Red" for me,

Lotsa Love,

The Flo's